Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Favorite Free Blackberry Apps

I just recently purchased a Blackberry Pearl and I've had fun downloading all sorts of fun apps onto it. I haven't yet paid for a single app because I'm still having fun with all my free ones! So here's a list of my favorites if you're looking for a few free apps for your own Blackberry!

Google Mobile You can get to your Google calendar, post a blog to your blogger website, view your photos, catch up on your RSS feeds on Google reader, access your online Google docs, and more! And then there's the option of performing a Google search by voice! One stop shopping with this app!

Google Maps Google Maps is an excellent application. Search for local business, get directions, use GPS, view satellite images, and more. I like that it will find your current location via GPS and give you directions from there- even showing you where you are on the map in real time. It even gives street views if available!

Amaze GPS My Pearl came with GPS and a program to use it, however you have to actually sign up for the service and pay an additional $10 a month to use it (as if the full blackberry data plan isn't expensive enough). You can download Amaze GPS and get GPS capabilities for free!; I love how if I decide to take an alternate route, it will recalculate the route for me and tell me how to get where I'm going. This is a must have if you get lost a lot in unfamiliar places like I do!

Bible Reader I used to have a Pocket PC and loved that I could put a Bible on there and be able to read it no matter where I was so I was excited when I found one for my blackberry! Olive Tree Bible reader has many free versions to download as well as some they charge a minimal fee for. They also have Christian books you can download into the reader. I love the search feature that helps you locate a verse or subject you are thinking of, even if you don't know the specific reference.

Facebook This one is a must have if you are addicted to Facebook like I am! Your blackberry will alert you on your home screen with a little FB icon telling you when someone has left you a message, made a comment on one of your photos, added you as a friend, and more! Plus the newest version will integrate with your blackberry address book and pull your friends profile pics into your address book so you will automatically have caller ID pictures for all your Facebook friends! And uploading pictures from your phone to your FB account is a snap because there will be a "Send to Facebook" option right in your camera menu!

Slacker Radio While this is a list of my favorite free blackberry apps, I think Slacker Radio is one of my top favorites. With this app you can listen to online radio for free, with minimal commercials. You can skip past songs you don't like and request to hear more of the ones you do. And you can even create customized stations based on your preferences. Plus you can listen to slacker radio on your desktop and sync your favorites to your phone. There are a few limits to the free version however, like a limited number of skipped songs, but it's still an amazing app for free! I've heard Pandora is a pretty good one too, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Grid Magic This app was formerly called MiniExcel, which is exactly what it is. It is like a tiny Excel program on your blackberry. I personally use it to keep track of my Weight Watcher points, but you can keep track of pretty much anything on it! You can download the community version (non-commercial) of Grid Magic for free.

Opera Mini There are just some websites that don't show up well in a Blackberry browser and even if they do, sometimes it's hard to find exactly what you want because the mobile site is so different from the regular site. With the mini Opera browser, you will see a smaller view of the original website, with a box that you can move around that will enable you to zoom into a specific portion of the page, which is really helpful when you know exactly where on a page you want to go, specifically if it happens to be at the bottom!

Radio Companion Listen to over 1000 actual radio stations around the world and see the playlists for tons of other ones. You can add your favorite radio stations in your current city or the cities you used to live in or the cities you love and you can listen to their radio stations or simply see what is playing on the station at this moment, as well as the last 5 songs played. Not only will it tell what song, it will tell you the artist and the album (along with an album picture) and give you a link to go buy the song if you want. It's a great way to listen to radio stations on your phone or simply find out the details about what just played on a radio station you are listening to somewhere else.

Are there any really cool ones that I missed?? Let me know!! Hope you enjoy these!!

Cortni

www.essentialexcellence.com

No comments:

Post a Comment