Monday, May 4, 2009

Bloomsday- Spokane's annual 12K race

I'm a firm believer in the importance of exercise and being healthy and even though it's not always my first priority, I always try to be active and take care of myself. Especially since I sit at a desk for most of the day doing what I do (unless it's nice outside, in which case I'll be sitting on my back deck!) So this past weekend I decided to participate in our city's annual Bloomsday race, which is 7.5 miles long! I'm not much of a runner although I do enjoy jogging for short periods of time, so I knew I couldn't run this thing (without proper training that is) but I elected to walk it with a group of friends. We arrived downtown at about 8:30 and stood around for an hour and half until our color group got to start. It was chilly and cloudy, but luckily not raining. At 10:00am we got to start and while we jogged a bit during the first part of the race, my friend and I could barely walk by mile 5 because our feet were in so much pain!! But we hobbled through and made it to the finish line in about 2 hours total. Of course after we officially finished we had to walk another half mile or so to get our race T-Shirts. Participating in this race was a fun experience. This event is such a part of the community I live in and this was my first time participating after living here for 3 years. I really felt like I was officially a Spokane resident. The race started downtown and even though downtown Spokane can't really compare to the downtown Seattle I'm used it when it comes to size, it still has it's own character that I like (plus there's less traffic!!). And while a race in Seattle will often have a view of the Sound, at least we had a view of the Spokane River. The race took us through some beautiful areas of the city that I had never seen before. I really appreciate the beauty of the Pacific Northwest and I thank God that I get to live here. (We even saw coyotes during our run!) So here I am the Monday after and although my feet still hurt a little, I'm feeling proud that I was actually able to jog/walk over 8 miles yesterday and participate in a big part of the Spokane, WA culture. And I'm glad I made it through alive! :) For more of my race pictures, view my Bloomsday facebook album. ~Cortni Marrazzo essentialexcellence.com

No comments:

Post a Comment